Sins, Trespasses, Transgression & Iniquities have different meanings


Notes from Perry Stone's study

Sins, Trespasses, Transgression & Iniquities have different meanings

1. Sin is missing God's mark

2. Trespass is to pass over your rights, cross the line...

3. Transgression is choose to cross the line, to intentionally cross the line

4. Iniquity (cup of iniquity) to be willfully lawless without fear of punishment - practiced to a level that grows to an unnatural affections w/o repentance-a reprobate mind (i.e. pedifiles, rapists, serial killers...etc.)


Examples of categories of sin:
Sin nature
(adopted through Adam)

Falling into Sin - Peter (Matthew 26)

Presumptuious Sin - Samson

Pre-meditative Sin - David (Bathsheba & Uriah)

Willful Sinning - All the Herods in the bible (no fear of God)


Missing the mark is not the same as willful disobedience. Continual willful disobedience without repentance, compounds into iniquity

David's repentance in acknowledgement of his
Psalm 51:1-4
"Have mercy on me, O God,
    according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
    blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity
    and cleanse me from my sin.

For I know my transgressions,
    and my sin is always before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
    and done what is evil in your sight;
so you are right in your verdict
    and justified when you judge."

sin-miss the mark
iniquity-perverseness
transgressions - sum of it all

David recognized:
he broke the commandment by committing adultery
he broke the commandment by committing murder
but he say "Against you, you only, have I sinned" noting the remorse of broken relationship with God...a true repented heart of not just about laws (getting caught) but about relationship (the heart)

.....

Comments

Popular Posts