Hearing God

It amazes me that this journey of following God never gets old or dull; always exciting and keeping me on my toes. If my life ever get boring or unfulfilling...that's not God... that's me or the devil.

When I was younger, I used to think I had so many things going on in my head at the same time. I started noticing that I would think in different patterns than other people. While a person would start telling a story or joke, my mind would jump to different scenarios and paths that would not reach the same end as the story-teller. I would need a few more seconds to "catch-up." While other listeners would laugh or comment at the end of the tale, I would end up understanding what the intended conclusion was, but a little bit delayed. At first I thought I was a little "slower" than others, but the more I realized, I was just on a totally different frame of thinking. Even in jr. high and high school, I was imagining how my thought patterns were weaving in and out of my head...almost in a 3-d spatial type of space, where streams of thoughts were layering on top of each other in my thinking process. In normal conversations, where point A leads to point B, my thoughts where point A leads to point C, D & E and eventually back to point B.

Learning more about God I realize that He placed those gifts in me to see things differently AND hear Him in different ways. I'm not saying I'm a genius, but a gifted person? Yes. The amazing thing is that we are all gifted! God has gifted all of us in different ways, AND all of us has the gift in hearing Him!

Just like in the Bible where Jesus describes those who follow him:

"When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice." ~John 10:3


"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.  I and the Father are one.” ~ John 10:27-30

Now, when I discern God's voice, it comes in many different ways but knowing God, you hear his voice. Knowing God is spending time with him. Spending time with Him especially in those intimate quiet times is NEVER boring and NEVER gets old. God is real and a relationship with Him is real. The question is, how much will I let the day go by listening to unimportant advice or thoughts that will get in the way of hearing God. Clouded judgement, worries, laziness, anxieties, hang-ups, envy, jealousy, pride, unforgiveness, anger, lust, etc... it's like a tempting, but greasy Awesome Blossom to a clogged artery-- deliciously golden, but can be deadly.

 A couple of my friends have this saying, "Peace is priceless!" and YES, they are so right. All those things listed above (sin,) no matter how small it may look is deadly and a welcome invitation for it to come closer, and eventually live with you in order to destroy you. So shut it out and place the "Not Welcome!" sign in its face! The awesome thing is, that even though the dark side wants to "kill, steal & destroy"(John 10:10), God has given us a sure triumph through Jesus and weapons of love to overcome!


It says:

"If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.” ~ Gen 4:7


"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." ~John 10:10

"Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.  For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand."  ~Ephesians 6:11-13
 
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!  Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.  Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." ~Philippians 4:4-9

God's voice is all over the Bible, but also, if you just ask the Holy Spirit more often than you would think to, you'll be surprised in how He answers. Don't limit God. He wants to talk to you and spend time with you. In days where it seems tiring or hopeless, keep your conversation flowing and give time for Him to answer even the most "insignificant" questions... maybe have Him ask the questions for once. You might be surprised in how He wants to be the restorer of your soul, or give you victory for that day.

Comments

Popular Posts