Over the years, breaking down this Psalm...

God has Psalm 23 follow me repeatedly throughout my life and it has meant different things to me at different seasons in my life. I also had read it through different lenses and realize that when I become more free in the Jesus, I am fed by the Bible in a greater freedom.

Just a couple months ago when I was reading through Psalm 23, I could see the phrase, "I shall not want/be in want" highlighted to me. It was as if the phrase was jumping off the page. In that, God was focusing on being satisfied in Him and that He was my provider in all that I need. He's got me covered.

As I started to think about "He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me besides still waters." In a humorous sort of way, I started visualizing myself as a lamb being made to lie down on my provision, my next meal. I was lead to peaceful waters to quench any thirst. What is it like to lie down on your literal food and an abundance at that...green pastures? Isn't it so like us that sometimes God has to make us lie down in His provision in order to appreciate His goodness. If it were up to me (and not the best choice at that) I would be running around trying to get through the day or pack my schedules and forget to even eat or enjoy the green pastures or still waters of life.

"For you are with me..." I know this is pretty obvious when you read through the chapter, but it also hit me that God is there all the time. He never leaves "my" side, through abundance and peace, through the dark scary valley, through the taunting enemies, He is there! Not only is He there, He is anointing me with oil where my cup overflows, He's protecting & directing me with His rod and staff, He is setting a banqueting table for me before my enemies. He is not phased!

To add in a little flavor, I'll bring up what Kris Vallotton said that it's interesting to use the right verb at the right phase of life... such as, "lie down in green pastures," "dwell in the house of the Lord forever," "walk through the valley of the shadow of death..." It would be silly to lie down or dwell in the valley of the shadow of death, or walk through green pastures when God wants us to lie down and rest... but sometimes we do take the wrong verb in the different seasons. There were many times that I wanted to give up and "lie down" in the valley, or times that I wanted to sprint through the pastures or even skip the still waters.

The other day, God showed me Psalm 23 once again and I was meditating on the phrase "I will fear no evil." I felt like reading the Psalm with such a Thankful and joyful attitude especially giving praise to God like a Faithful, good father and the Psalm really took a different turn. I was rejoicing in how good God is, almost like I was bragging to someone as if I was a young child bragging about her father to another child... "You know my dad took us out to my favorite place to eat! He always spends time with me when I ask! He's so big and strong, He can take out anything or anybody! He's like a superhero...He said He will take care of anyone who tries to mess with his daughter!..." I really felt like I will fear no evil because there is no need to with such a great Pappa!

I love this Psalm! The first dozen or so times I just thought it was more like something you memorize in Sunday School, but God keeps unpacking awesome treasure from it! It is amazing! God is amazing and so is His word--living and active! ;)





Comments

Popular Posts