Happy Kislev! Day 22: A month of remembrance of thanksgiving, dreams & miracles!

Hearing God
 It says in the Bible,
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me;  and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand." ~ John 10: 27-29

Those who belong to God can and will hear God's voice. They will follow Him.

When I was younger, I didn't know what it meant to hear God's voice. I read and heard stories of the Bible when God would talk in an audible voice to specific people, but what did it mean for Christians today?

Later in college, our church's core group went through a workbook study called, "Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God" by Henry Blackaby. This rocked my world and would continue to do so as I would revisit this workbook many times after. 

It explained that God speaks in many ways, even ways that you would normally wouldn't even think twice about. Holy Spirit can and will speak to you through Bible, prayer, circumstances, and the church to reveal Himself, His purposes and His ways. It also taught about preparing yourself for an expectation that God will answer. This part I struggled for a bit since I expected God to answer me a specific way and a specific time, but God doesn't work that way and isn't limited by my small expectations. Thank God! 

The more I "practiced" listening to God (which really meant despite my plans, my desires, my ways and distractions of my mind and heart, I submitted to hear what He wanted to share with me) the more clearer I could see God was leading my life in His promises.

I've only heard the audible voice of God once. The rest of the time comes through the ways mentioned in "Experiencing God." More specifically in prayer, I also include: the inner voice of the Holy Spirit which my spirit hears in dialog. Sometimes it is so loud that it almost seems like it is audible. God also speaks to me in visions (pictures, short movie-like scenarios, and almost real instances) and dreams as well. 

Later I heard this scripture passage and it made perfect sense:
"And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh,
and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions,
and your old men shall dream dreams;

yea, and on my menservants and my maidservants in those daysI will pour out my Spirit; and they shall prophesy." ~ Acts 2:17-18 (Joel 2:28-29)

 
I would have never thought I could hear God in such a way and communicate back with Him until it started happening. I guess in some ways the stories of the Bible were amazing but I limited to "those" people...but God desires that His sheep...all His sheep hear His voice. You may never know unless you are open to what He has to say.




Comments

Popular Posts