Morning Walk

This morning I headed out to my new favorite walking area. As I was leaving, I decided to ask God which trail I should walk: the quarter mile, one mile or two mile. I heard, “the two mile.”

When I got to the site, the morning was already getting warm and I double checked... “So... the 2 mile, eh?” and again, I got a confirmed, “Two mile.”

I started playing some music as I was walking, closing in the bubble of awareness to focus on the tones, the lyrics and the story of song. It felt like I was walking in a music video, with the scenic trees, sunlight peeking through the leaves, water flowing along the paths and branches making arching passageways in seemingly familiar imaginings from children’s stories. Every so often, I would stop to take a snapshot.




“Hello, turtle family having a leisurely swim on a hot day!” <snap!> (its an electronic snap from my phone)



“Hello, fallen giant! Showing off your toes?” (A large tree uprooted and now, a nice deck for ducks in the water) <snap!>



“Hello, whispy tree. You dressed up nicely today! Very romantic! Do you have a date?” <snap!>



“Hello Mr. Crane! You are really showing off your long elegant neck. Who are you trying to impress? Me?” <snap!>



As I was heading toward the fork in the path where the one mile and two mile paths split. I started to hear a phrase repeatedly, “Go the extra mile.” Many ideas and imagery came as I was hearing the phrase.


Themes of perseverance, “Go the extra mile.” 
Themes of excellence, “Go the extra mile.” 
Themes of forgiveness, “Go the extra mile.” 
Themes of generosity, “Go the extra mile.” 
Themes of love, “Go the extra mile.” ...etc. 

And I thought of the verse in Matthew 5... “If someone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.” 

‘hmmm... food for thought.’

After a few songs, I changed the pace to listen to some personal prayers and prophetic words that were spoken over me and recorded on my phone. You know, with so much... let’s just say, flashy events happening around in the world, it’s nice to get back to the things of what God is saying, not letting certain things steal your peace, joy and sound mind! As I was letting His words go deeper, it felt like He was telling me, “You have gone the extra mile. You continue to do so. Come, continue to walk with me. The longer walk is more intimate time with me.”

After returning back home, I read up on the portion of Matthew 5 about loving your enemies. It’s amazing to see God, who wants his children to be like him. He is GOOD and gives LOVE and wants to reveal His goodness on the just and the unjust. He doesn’t tell us to discriminate. He doesn’t withhold love and he doesn’t want us to withhold love either. Amazing.

“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”

You know, the extra mile today didn’t seem like much when I was in tune with God, what He wanted to talk about and His creation. If I was concentrated at the task at hand, it would been an entirely different walk. I think I would have missed out on all the secret treasures in the extra mile. I think I would be concentrated on how it is more work or how much less shady the two mile walk is than the mile walk. I don’t think He wanted me to focus on the “extra,” but to focus on Him. He’s here with me. 

I think this is similar to the things in life that are challenging... being in relationship with people who are difficult. Not to say life cannot have difficulties, but when we focus and walk with God through these situations, you’ll find hidden treasures, rather than having our attention focused on matters that steal peace, joy and love.

This is a very interesting passage in the midst of these times. There is a lot going on. I can’t say I know all the answers, but I know the One who does and invites me in the conversation and to walk with Him. :)


Comments

Popular Posts