Recounting Memories: Bus ride

I'm starting to record down memories of moments of travel, God, people, things concerning the heart...
There are so many, I don't know how many I will record down in this series, but this may give you an idea of what my life is about...when you follow Jesus and He's with you. These encounters are not always perfect and sometimes with many mistakes but God always ends up bringing beauty into them. I hope they encourage you.

Bus ride
From 2013 - 2014, I had been commuting from Carson to Pasadena a few times a week by public transportation. I would have to catch the Silver Line (bus) up to Union Station in Los Angeles. It would usually take an hour to get to Union Station before hopping on the gold line (train) to Pasadena.

One day I was on my usual routine and I found a seat near the rear of the bus. Somewhere along the way, the person next to me got up and exited the bus while a young man came in and sat next to me.

Sometimes, I ask the Holy Spirit if there is anyone He would want me to speak to on the bus, but this day I did not ask Him nor did I want to. But as this young man sat next to me, I kept feeling the tug to engage conversation with Him. At first I ignored the urge, then I started to get a little nervous to speak, because I knew I would need to say something about how God felt about him. For me, in my own mind, was not "mentally/spiritually prepared" to do this.

As I was counting the stops coming up before I had to get off, I finally engaged 3 or 4 stops away. I noticed and commented on the young man's unique style of fashion and he started to explain how he is a student of fashion. He seemed like a cheerful young man.

I could hear the bus announcements of the stops and knew I didn't have much time, so I cut to the chase and told him that I felt that he had a special destiny and not to give up hope. He has a tender heart and one that really wants to bring good and produce good. "You were meant to shine."

To my surprise, the young man looked like his eyes were tearing up. He said, "I really needed that. Thank you so much!" I replied back to him, "You're welcome" as I heard my stop being announced for the second time as the bus was coming to a stop and I waved at him and he waved back.

As I hopped off the bus, I realized that I didn't say Jesus' name and I couldn't even remember if I mentioned God. 'Doh!' I told God that I was sorry that I wasn't bold enough and guilt and shame started to creep in. Holy Spirit came in and told me it was that it was enough. He reminded me that I was being God's daughter of light in a world where darkness and despair is continually being emitted. Although I didn't share the gospel to that young man that day, I was dispelling despair with the perspective of God. I thanked God for the reminder and prayed for that young man to encounter more moments of God and that Jesus would be revealed as the source of life and that moment I had with him.




Comments

Popular Posts