Recounting Memories: Pearl Ring

My friend was visiting San Francisco with some mutual friends and I decided to go up and meet them. We visited Pier 39, and you can pay a pearl shop to shuck an oyster in front of you and take the pearl that is farmed in that oyster specifically for you. You can also place it in a jewelry setting, whether it be a pendant of a necklace, ring or earrings.

My friend and I decided to get a ring each, as a symbol of knowing that God sees us as precious pearls, but for me personally it also reminded me of the pearl of great price (and also that is like Jesus and my relationship.) At that time I didn't have much money, so it was a sacrifice for me to purchase the ring, but I felt like God told me to go ahead and purchase it.

I don't even know how long later, I was driving a car with some friends and we had to stop and gas up late in the evening. A woman came up to me asking for some spare money. She said that she had been living in the hotel next to the gas station and ran out of money. She had been kicked out for some days and really wanted a shower and to be able to rent the room again to clean herself up. I tend to be skeptical of people asking for money, but rather purchase them a hot meal or direct them to a nearby shelter. Since I was in an area I didn't know too well, I didn't have resources to direct her.

We decided to give some money to her and she was grateful even though we really didn't give much cash. At that moment, I felt a voice tell me to give her my pearl ring. 'Nope! That's probably not God!,' I thought to myself. He's the one that gave me this ring! Again, I heard to give the ring to her and tell her she's as precious as this ring. 'Oh..........................'  Hesitation started to creep in, usually with voices that sound like "reason" soon follow. But I knew where that would take me.

I started to tell her how precious she is and how God sees her like a precious pearl and that He is looking after her. She stood really still, like she was stunned and I started telling her what the ring I was wearing meant to me and that I didn't actually want to give it to her, but God did! I gave it to her and realized that is was too small, but like a child, she licked her finger and try to jam on that ring onto her pinky finger, determined to make it fit. She thanked me over and over again.

My friend commented how that was really nice of me to do that. I don't think it was nice of me. It really was God's idea, but I was really moved by her excitement.

In the end, I have no proof if this lady's story was true. I don't know if she would keep the ring or trade it, or sell it. But I know in the end that God sees my heart of obedience. I keep thinking of the verses, Matthew 25:37- 40:

Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’


“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’




Comments

Popular Posts