The difference between True and False Mercy

Today I was pondering whether or not a person's action was considered true mercy (from God's character and understanding) or "false mercy," which is a phrase I hear from time to time.

When I hear the term "false mercy" I usually hear a definition that is coupled with the idea of "cheapening grace." Still, terms that are a little lofty in my understanding.

Then usually an example of the idea of cheapening what Jesus has done on the cross soon follows-- being unappreciative of his great act of love, etc. In the end, usually feelings of guilt and shame follow quickly and an "act" of repentance happens... but I wonder... does my mind, heart and soul really understand what's going on in all this? Many times it feels...too much like a simulation.

I think mercy is a term that is far more complicated than I allowed myself to believe.
Yes, the act of what Jesus has done on the cross is SO COMPLEX, I don't think any one person would be able to explain in the fullness of what that act entailed, let-alone the motives and love behind it.

But thinking of these two terms:


TRUE MERCY       |         FALSE MERCY


really has me thinking in how our acts of faith have real intentionality (or not).

One thought that came to mind, pertaining to "true" mercy, was to the situation where a person has wronged another person. The later can decide to react in justified retaliation, or to hold back as a decision of compassion or forgiveness...knowing that the power is not in the act of recompense, but in the choice of the person, oneself.

(Like how God did not choose to let us go through the repercussions of a sinful nature -- we do not need to go through the spiritual death, but even more-so, beyond mercy He give us what we did not deserve--grace.
Instead Jesus took all the punishment so that we would not bear it, but he gave everything He has for all that we have! AMAZING GRACE!!!)


In diving more into the scenario of "True" mercy, there seems to be something of an admittance of wrong-doing in the case...an acknowledgement of something not right and then a decision of compassion, kindness, forgiveness, etc.

False mercy then seemingly points to disregarding the wrong-doing all together. It is not about one holding back from the negative incident despite the wrongful deed. The wronged deed is overlooked all-together.

It flips the judgement to the one who is facing the decision with the wronged. It is usually an unconscious, abrupt switch, where the roles of justice gets topsy-turvy.

It these kinds of everyday exchange, digging deeper, it is quite upsetting to see how unintentional, yet chaotic this kind of switch can take place. In essence, the definition of right and wrong can easily be completely mistaken in such a short period of time without any understanding or purpose of the will.

Not only that, if there is no "wrong" to be understood, there is no place for the one wronged to deal with the consequences of their action -- and "owning" to one's decision.

I do not bring this all into light for the purpose of placing blame or punishment on people. I am not a perfect person. I make wrongs many times. But with that said, I think it is my responsibility to own up to the wrongs I have done towards people-- to face and acknowledge that, at times, my words and actions have/and can hurt people (intentionally or not.) Bringing this to the ones that I have wronged, shows that I do not want to, nor do I have the intention, of purposely singling people out to hurt them or continue to do so in the relationship...

Nor do I like punishment. If the person I have wronged ignores the act, I am not in favor of seeking out pain for the sake of pain, BUT I don't think the hurt or effect of the pain of the event is gone because the person refuses to acknowledge it. It actually remains and becomes its own seed of thought.

Living in a modern-day culture, it pains my heart to see so many people unable to deal with pain and  offenses in healthy ways. It is also a culture that is seemingly less familiar with forgiveness and true mercy. An opening of many wounds and offenses have been unleashed in many forms (individually and socially.) Many wounds that have been festering for lifetimes, and generations and the effects are ugly.

The good news is that Jesus is that ultimate example of forgiveness. A God that promises that He forgives and remembers the sin no more! The power of forgiveness exemplified by him giving his own life for those who didn't deserve what He has to offer.

It is not sin that is so powerful (although it is often related to death.) It is Jesus (GOD) who is greater because he is LIFE and He continually promises that those who come to him, those who abide in him, those who love him with have LIFE abundantly.

As death makes its threats all over the world, encouraging fear, anger and immediate reaction, JESUS brings promises of LIFE, truth, love and peace to overcome.

What and where is your decision to stand in this conflict of the present generation?








Comments

Popular Posts