God has other emotions other than anger

God has other emotions other than anger, obligatory love and even though practicality is not a emotion, it is often how we think is the main basis of why or how He moves in our lives.
One thing I've been learning more about God these past years is that God has more emotions than the negative or indifferent ones. For some reason or another, people in general, many Christians surprisingly (including myself), perceive and associate God's "love" to be some sort of obligation or apathetic attitude He has in dispensing himself, His word and His ways in our lives. Not only does God express positive and beautiful emotions, He also desires to receive them from mankind.
As I recall about when I first became saved and believed that Jesus has bridged the gap between me and God through a love relationship, I realize that along my journey, I stopped looking at God as a "person" (a grand spiritual person at that.) Somehow, at times, He would become a task master, a judge, a disapproving parent, an QA inspections manager, a food stamps distributor...and the list goes on. But in actuality, when I encounter the true and living God, when He encounters me in relationship, He really is not any of those things by the negative lens I have perceived Him to be. He is the true judge and in great ways, he is the ultimate task master, but not solely to be looked at under that identity. Jesus is a person and He has intimate emotions and that he wants us to take part in.
I decided to look up the word "delight" in the bible today and then I got a curious notion to look up "delight" in conjunction with "Lord" and "God." I've read it enough times to know that there are verses in the Bible that coincide "delight" with "Lord" but to really sit down and ponder about this blows me away every time. A great, infinite God can delight in me. He wants to receive "delight" from me. Wow, so intimate.
I found 21 instances (so far) of God's ability to delight and/or wanting us to delight in Him. Here are some verses to meditate on.

Deuteronomy 30:9
Then the LORD your God will make you most prosperous in all the work of your hands and in the fruit of your womb, the young of your livestock and the crops of your land. The LORD will again delight in you and make you prosperous, just as he delighted in your ancestors...

1 Samuel 15:22
But Samuel replied: “Does the LORD delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the LORD? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.

1 Kings 10:9
Praise be to the LORD your God, who has delighted in you and placed you on the throne of Israel. Because of the LORD’s eternal love for Israel, he has made you king to maintain justice and righteousness.”

2 Chronicles 9:8
Praise be to the LORD your God, who has delighted in you and placed you on his throne as king to rule for the LORD your God. Because of the love of your God for Israel and his desire to uphold them forever, he has made you king over them, to maintain justice and righteousness.”

Psalm 22:8
“He trusts in the LORD,” they say, “let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him.”

Psalm 35:27
May those who delight in my vindication shout for joy and gladness; may they always say, “The LORD be exalted, who delights in the well-being of his servant.”

Psalm 37:4
Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Psalm 37:23
The LORD makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him;

Psalm 112:1
[ Psalm 112 ] Praise the LORD. Blessed are those who fear the LORD, who find great delight in his commands.

Psalm 147:11
the LORD delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.

Psalm 149:4
For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with victory.

Proverbs 3:12
because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.

Proverbs 11:20
The LORD detests those whose hearts are perverse, but he delights in those whose ways are blameless.

Proverbs 12:22
The LORD detests lying lips, but he delights in people who are trustworthy.

Isaiah 5:7
The vineyard of the LORD Almighty is the nation of Israel, and the people of Judah are the vines he delighted in...

Isaiah 42:1
[ The Servant of the LORD ] “Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations.

Isaiah 62:4
No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called Hephzibah, and your land Beulah ; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married.

Jeremiah 9:24
but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight,” declares the LORD.

Jeremiah 31:20
Is not Ephraim my dear son, the child in whom I delight? Though I often speak against him, I still remember him. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I have great compassion for him,” declares the LORD.

Zephaniah 3:17
The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Micah 7:18
Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy.


Comments

Popular Posts